5.4.13

Mozzarella in carrozza

Ingredients:
Fresh mozzarella, sliced into 3/4 inch thick rounds
Flour, seasoned with salt and freshly ground pepper
Eggs, beaten, with salt and freshly ground pepper
Seasoned Italian breadcrumbs
Olive and canola oils, enough to cover your frying pan with a 1/2 inch of oil

Directions:
1. Dip slices in seasoned flour and then beaten egg.
2. Coat with breadcrumbs.
3. Fry in oil until crumbs are crisp, turning once.
4. Place on paper towels to drain oil.
5. Serve with tomato sauce for dipping.

The story:
To borrow a quote (though not the recipe) from Nigella Lawson: "This is Italian food before Tuscan rustic chic." To borrow a quote from my mom: "I'm not sure where this recipe came from. Grandma made it when I was having some friends over in 1977." I think that sums it up perfectly, don't you? My grandmother used a similarly simple, delicious approach to frying eggplant and veal.

Me at age 2, helping my grandmother Ida open a present
It looks like I'm already about half her height :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment