Sugar, 3/4 cup
Whole milk, 1 cup
Heavy or double cream, 2 cups
Egg yolks, 3
Vanilla bean, 1/2 pod (or can substitute vanilla bean paste, 1/4 tsp)
Cherry-rum ice cream
Ice cream maker required
1. Whisk all ingredients together in a saucepan.
2. Continue stirring over low heat until it forms a custard (it will stick to the spoon).
3. Place into a container and chill until ready to prepare ice cream.
4. Process custard according to instructions for your ice cream maker.
For cherry-rum ice cream
5. Just before last few turns, gently pour in cherries.
6. Chill for at least an hour in the freezer before serving.
We love homemade ice cream and gelato. And this was the perfect way to use the cherries left over after making sour cherry mojitos last week.