12.6.13

Pappardelle con funghi

Ingredients:
Fresh or homemade pappardelle (similar to fettuccine but 2-3 cm wide)
Butter, 3 tbsp
Olive oil, 3 tbsp
Pancetta, 1/2 lb, thickly sliced (~1/4 inch) and coarsely chopped
Medium yellow onions, 2, coarsely chopped
Fresh mushrooms, 2 lb, ideally including shiitake, crimin, chanterelle and portabella, roughly chopped
Chicken stock, 1/2 cup
Sage, 2 tbsp, chopped
Garlic, 2-3 tbsp, crushed and finely chopped
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Pecorino or parmigiano-reggiano to taste, finely and freshly grated

Directions:
1. Prepare pappardelle according to the recipe here or purchase fresh pappardelle and cook.
2. Heat 1 tbsp of butter with 1 tbsp olive oil.
3. Lightly brown pancetta in butter and olive oil.
4. Add garlic and onions and sauté until tender and translucent, 5-10 minutes. Set aside.
5. Add the second tbsp of butter and olive oil and raise heat to high.
6. Add half of the mushrooms and sauté until they just begin to release liquid and soften. Set aside in bowl with pancetta, garlic and onion.
7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 with last tbsp of butter and olive oil and other half of mushrooms.
8. Heat the entire mushroom mixture over high heat, adding stock as needed to add moisture.
9. Stir in sage and season, then toss with pasta and serve.
10. Grate pecorino or parmigiano over the top if desired.

The story:
Mushroom sauces are among my favorite dishes - and are nearly impossible to mess up. (I'll be following this up with a slightly trickier mushroom risotto.) I also adore wide noodles - anything wider than spaghetti, really, and particularly tagliatelle and pappardelle, but the preference extends to non-Italian noodles (for instance, I prefer the wide rice noodles in pad see ew to pad thai noodles). Something about the texture is much more satisfying and very hearty.
Suboptimal cooking conditions

I rarely use cookbooks, but this recipe comes from one of my three favorites, the Williams-Sonoma Complete Entertaining Cookbook, which my parents, every practical, gave to me for Christmas during my first year away at university. Sadly, most of the recipes were not well-suited to a dorm room equipped with only a micro-fridge, but I bided my time and have been working my way through it every since.

What are my other two favorite cookbooks? I'll be sharing some recipes from them soon but here's a sneak peak:
- Ad Hoc At Home
Betty Crocker's International Cookbook

I have eclectic taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment